Shyama Raju, Here comes the inspirational journey of a man born in the poor background to now recognized as Global Asian of the year 2017
Who is Dr.Shyama Raju?
Dr. P. Shyama Raju was once an aspiring young man from a poor background in Andhra Pradesh who arrived in Bengaluru to establish his architectural brilliance around the city.
From being a builder and then the owner of one of the most revolutionizing building companies in the world, he has left no stone unturned.
There have been few men in the history of humanity who are in both areas of life, one is construction and the other is educational service to people.
A voracious reader once, Dr. Shyama Raju now prefers spending quality time with his family whenever possible. He firmly believes that a fit body leads to an active mind and hence, does not miss his morning walk at any cost.
His Early Life
Understanding that infrastructure forms the cultural, economic and social cornerstone of any nation, Dr Shyama Raju was born on 6 January 1950, started his search for the perfect symbol in stone and bricks early on.
His story is that of raw enthusiasm and passion chiselled in experience grown to this stature today. He has been written in the history of Bengaluru’s infrastructural growth, etching a significant name in the cityscape.
The buildings, bridges, and lakes of Bengaluru are testimony to his contribution through DivyaSree.
Established in 1975, DivyaSree has since, seen a rise to power and grown significantly in reputation and associated with avant-garde and uncompromising quality in the country.
Shyama Raju becomes a top icon and inspiration in the world
He has ensured that history would be made and repeated as he moved on from the role of an entrepreneur to an edupreneur. While his rise in the construction business has been meteoric, his contribution to education has been nothing short of inconceivable brilliance.
What inspired Shyama Raju to come into the education sector
It was the dream of his late wife, Mrs. Rukmini Shyama Raju, that he forayed into the field of education and set up state-of-the-art educational institutions. She firmly believed in academics as the forerunner of everything important in life. Dr. P. Shyama Raju honoured her wish and quickly mastered the complex aspects of academic administration.
Challenges and risks
Initial days were ﬁlled with struggle. The circumstances were challenging, the resources meagre, and at times, the manpower insufficient. However, he persevered till he reached perfection, guided by his foresight, intuition, and creativity.
His highly principled, ethical and transparent manner always led those around him to recognize the merit of his views and intent. As his learning and evolution continued, Dr. Raju steadily imbibed the maturity and wisdom of a leader.
Adept at building bridges with people and organizations, he forged alliances where it seemed impossible and earned a reputation for meeting challenging deadlines. Always adapting to new, diverse environments with transformation and learning, he continually imbibes new skills and practices as he enters novel avenues.
He could have easily succumbed to a life of comfort as an employee of a renowned bank; instead, he chose to start his own brand with little support, but the thirst to learn. This risk was the biggest challenge in his life.
His dedication and determination made him the name he is today, a choice planted at an opportune time when young men choose the inevitable.
His beginning as an educationist came at a time when he was an already established name in infrastructural development in the country. It shocked many to see him transition so seamlessly into this role.
Rising from humble origins and growing through challenges and embracing every opportunity, Dr. P Shyama Raju upheld integrity, transparency, and honesty.
A ﬁrm believer in a hands-on approach, he maintains an instinctive understanding of the tiniest details of every project. Keeping an eye and an ear to the ground even while pursuing a lofty vision, his style is a blend of the micro with the macro.
For a man who admits that he was new to the workings of a university when he founded it, he is a respected and much-emulated Chancellor of an apex education institution today.
If one walks along the corridors of REVA University, one could often spot the Chancellor chatting with a bunch of eager undergraduates or having a meal with a group of animated students in the cafeteria. At DivyaSree, he is equally at ease with visiting dignitaries,
Being constantly in touch with the ground realities and keeping his precious hours accessible to all, he instils high standards in every endeavour. His strong innovative streak helps him break the mould and pave new paths in every sphere of activity. He says, “The youth and influencing the life of the youth has been my major inspiration.
- Dr. P Shyama Raju has been awarded an Honorary Doctorate (Honoris Causa) by the prestigious Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belagavi in 2015 for his outstanding contribution to Higher Education and Learning.
- Presented with the distinguished developer award in REDECON 2016.
- Honored with the most prestigious State award, the Karnataka Rajyotsava Award 2017 by Hon’ble Chief Minister of Karnataka Shri Siddaramaiah for Outstanding Services in the field of Education.
- Awarded the prestigious Prasanna Seva Ratna Award in 2017 by Swamiji Sri Sri Sukhabodhananda.
- Recognized as Global Asian of the year 2017.
- Dr. P. Shyama Raju has been awarded the most Exemplary Leader in Internationalisation of Indian Education Forum, 2018.
- Dr. P. Shyama Raju was presented with the prestigious, “Asia’s 100 Greatest Brands and Leaders” Award 2018 by Asia One Magazine.
Shyama Raju Advice To Young Minds
1. Discipline – Respect time and human values!
2. Be a good citizen – the country should feel proud of you!
3. Be Creative- Have your own Idea and develop it!
4. I am the actor the almighty is the director!
5. Focus on one thing – avoid distractions and focus on one particular task!
6. Be a good listener- Listen, it helps you to understand better!
7. Be passionate-Be passionate about things you like and work hard upon it!
8. Be a life-long learner- Learning never ends, you can learn and gain knowledge your entire life!
9. Be persuasive-make people believe in you, your ideas!
10. Be courageous-Be brave enough to face any kind of problem in life!
Nothing is impossible, everyone has the potential, we just need to tap it and amaze the society by our stunning results